BY JENNIFER KUSAPA
PUBLIC Prosecution has confirmed in court that they are going to maintain the charge against man alleged of giving false information to a Solomon Islands Electoral Official in June 2018 during the voter registration period.
The accused, Alif Vai, was alleged of multiple registrations during the registration period last year for the National General Election, after the registration period was over electoral officials found out he had registered several times with different names and reported him to the police for investigation.
Yesterday Public Prosecutor Dalcy Belapitu said prosecution will maintain the charge and will proceed for trial.
The case was called before the First Class Magistrate Ishmael Kekou, but due to jurisdiction issues Mr Kekou said he cannot hear the case.
Therefore the case was adjourned to August 14 and to be heard before Principal Magistrate Felix Hollison.
Magistrate Kekou also made directions that on the next appearance prosecution and defence to set trial dates.
The allegation said a 50-year-old man from Malaita Province Alif Vai registered to vote on seven separate occasions, using different names, dates of birth and other details on each occasion. Only one of the seven registrations allegedly included his correct details.
The man is charged with seven counts of Misleading Information under section 113 (2) of the Electoral Act which carries a maximum penalty of $50,000 or five years imprisonment or both.
Office of the Director Public Prosecutions appears for the crown on the case.