BY SAMIE WAIKORI
THE people of Langalanga and others from around Malaita province have come together to celebrate the 75th anniversary of St Joseph Tenaru Catholic School at Buloabu island in the lagoon on Sunday.
The celebration happened at Buloabu Island where St Joseph Catholic secondary school, Tenaru School, first started in 1943.
And in courtesy to the anniversary celebration a monument was built on the island of Buloabu to mark the 75th anniversary as the foundation land where the school was first established.
The school was started by some Marist brothers who enrolled the first 12 local students mainly within the Langalanga lagoon.
Late brother Ervan FM of Australia was one of the names among other missionaries who started the St Joseph Catholic Tenaru School that is now the St Joseph Tenaru Catholic School, east of Honiara.
Late Philip Kakasi from East Kwaio, Uru Catholic station, was the first local principal who was trained by Marist brothers.
The pioneer students during that year of 1943 are Clement Kotibelia, Dionisio Iroagalo, John Fagani, Julian Kobiloko, and Severino Buluisu.
From Buloabu, four students were taken over to Fiji in 1945. They were Joseph Kaia, Kalisto Kobiloko, Peter Taloni, and Sosimo Sifoteilia.
Relatives and family members of the pioneer students of St Joseph Tenaru Catholic School at Buloabu Island were present in celebrating the memorial event.
Bishop Peter Houhou of Auki Catholic Diocese was the main celebrant at the memorial mass.
In his address, Houhou urged those present during the event especially the younger generation to look back with respect to what the local pioneers had done as first students of the school in 1943.
“We must know that working as volunteer was very challenging where these pioneer students had done and now within our Catholic society we are localizing the top positions and leadership,” Houhou said.
The event ended with cultural dances and feasting.