Family in Choiseul homeless after home burnt down



A family from Tarikukuri village in the Choiseul Bay area in Choiseul province are left homeless after their house was burnt to ashes on Wednesday.

Family members who related the incident to Island Sun Gizo yesterday said they suspect the fire had stemmed from a solar battery.

They said the incident occurred around 3pm.

The owner of the house and father of three children, Mr Warren Mene said no one was injured and his family escape unscathed.

The family however had not been able to salvage anything from their house.

“Nothing was salvaged from the blaze. My house is fully permanent with only a few areas left to complete. I am very sorry because I lost all my valuable tools and other important documents and materials to complete my house,” said Mene.

Mene has appealed for assistance from the general public and from responsible authorities in the form of materials so that he can rebuild his house.

He explained that his family are now residing with his wife’s relatives and they are seeking assistance.

Meanwhile, Taro police are looking into the incident.

With that, Taro provincial police commander (PPC) Mrs Cindar Nevol advises relatives in Tarikukuri village to remain calm and to refrain from taking the law in to their own hands as this case is now under investigation.

Discover more from Theislandsun

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading