Allocation of 108,000 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine confirmed

0
22
AstraZeneca vaccine. Photo by NDTV.
Advertise with Islandsun
Share

BY BARNABAS MANEBONA

DESPITE missing out on the Pfizer Vaccines for 0.25 percent of the country’s population, the COVAX Facility has confirmed allocation of an indicative number of 108,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare in his nationwide address this week updating on Covid-19 Vaccine update said the country hope to receive 40 percent of the doses during the 1st quarter of 2021, and the remaining 60 percent during the second quarter of 2021.

Preparations are well underway for the roll-out of the AstraZeneca vaccine in Solomon Islands according to the Prime Minister.

“Fellow citizens, the Oversight Committee together with the COVAX Coordinating Committee and the Technical Working Group on Vaccines hope to present our National COVID-19 Vaccination Policy and Implementation Plan to the Caucus and Cabinet next week for our consideration.

“Despite missing out on the Pfizer Vaccines for 0.25% of our population, I am pleased to inform you all that the COVAX Facility has confirmed the allocation of an indicative number of 108,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine to Solomon Islands.

“We hope to receive 40% of the doses during the 1st quarter of 2021, and the remaining 60% during the second quarter of 2021.

“I am pleased to inform you all that preparations are well underway for the roll-out of the AstraZeneca vaccine in Solomon Islands.

“The Ministry of Health has activated technical teams comprising of our very own health experts supported by our partners to coordinate and contribute to different aspects of the COVID-19 vaccination planning and delivery process.

“The government is also liaising with partners to secure additional doses of COVID-19 vaccines,” said Sogavare.

Solomon Islands to date has registered 18 positive Covid-19 cases.


Share