AstraZeneca vaccine for SI confirmed

0
0
Covid-19 Vaccine. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/File Photo
Advertise with Islandsun

BY MAVIS N PODOKOLO

COVAX Facility has confirmed the allocation of a suggestive number of 108,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine to Solomon Islands despite missing out on Pfizer vaccines.

This was confirmed by Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare yesterday in his national address.

Sogavare said the country had got approval for AstraZeneca vaccine despite missing out on the Pfizer Vaccines for 0.25 percent of the country’s population.  

“Despite missing out on the Pfizer Vaccines for 0.25 percent of our population, I am pleased to inform you all that the COVAX Facility has confirmed the allocation of an indicative number of 108,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine to Solomon Islands.

“We hope to receive 40 percent of the doses during the 1st quarter of 2021, and the remaining 60% during the second quarter of 2021.

“I am pleased to inform you all that preparations are well underway for the for the roll-out of the AstraZeneca vaccine in Solomon Islands,” he said.

Sogavare said the Oversight Committee together with the COVAX Coordinating Committee and the Technical Working Group on Vaccines hope to present our National Covid-19 Vaccination Policy and Implementation Plan to the Caucus and Cabinet next week for our consideration.

He also adds that Health Ministry has activated its technical teams comprising of the country’s very own health experts supported by partners to coordinate and contribute to different aspects of the covid-19 vaccination planning and delivery process.

Sogavare said the government is also communicating with partners to secure additional doses of covid-19 vaccines.

Leave a comment

Advertise with Islandsun