DEAR EDITOR, local news reports in the past few days said a family has survived a deadly fire that razed and burned down their house at Kobe village in Ngella, Central province last month.
It seems five people; four kids and their aunt were in the house sleeping when the fire broke out and engulfed the home.
The incident was said to have occurred between 9-10pm in the night and they could not do much because it was dark and the fire was all over the house within minutes.
Ms Wale, an occupant of the house, said they were unaware where, how and why the fire started.
“She said when she realised the fire she quickly got the kids out of the house.
“Ms Wale said because of the heat of the fire one of the kids was severely burnt during the process of escaping from the house.
The house was turned into ruins and ashes.
The kids were immediately referred to National Referral Hospital (NRH) for emergency medical attention.
It is believed most of the children have recovered but one of the younger ones who was injured in the fire is still recovering and under medical observation at the NRH.
It is understood that Empower Pacific, a volunteer group that assist kids at the hospital’s children’s ward, has launched a public appeal to support the four (4) kids that survived the fire and help the victims return to their village.
The group welcomes any help and donations through clothing and household items to support the family rebuild their lives.
Should you wish to help, call Empower Pacific on 30065.
I endorse the appeal launched by the Empower Pacific and, while wishing the four children a speedy and full recovery, I also request that the Solomon Islands Red Cross Society and the community do everything possible to help the stricken family re-build their home and their lives.
Please try to help.