BY JARED KOLI
The Solomon Islands National University (SINU) will enroll students on units basis and not on entire programme basis, effective next semester.
This is one of the new resolutions the university announced on Monday.
The University Senate and Senior Management Committee told Island Sun that the approach will change the way SINU enrolls students, which was previously based on programmes.
“Starting next semester, we will enroll students on unit bases and not the entire programme bases. Previously, we enroll students based on their programs; each programs have fixed number of units to be taken each semester by the students.
“For instance, Diploma of Nursing programme have five units for students to take in a semester in order to graduate in three years. The fee per semester is $9,000, which is a fixed fee.
“From next semester, students will only enroll on units they can afford to pay. Therefore, a nursing student can enroll with only two units and it will cost him/her only $3600, however, he or she will not graduate in three years, it might take a bit longer,” The University Senate and Senior Management Committee explains in response to queries by Island Sun.
It said students that will be completing their study this semester and yet to complete their outstanding fees will not graduate.
“Students can only graduate and given their certificates after completing their outstanding fees.”
On Monday, the university announced that it permits students with outstanding fees to sit for their semester one final exams.
This was after a meeting held Thursday last week, where the committee rescind its resolution of May 26, 2020, and endorsed new resolutions that will be applied to students with outstanding fees.
The new resolutions are;
- Permit students with outstanding fees to sit for their Semester 1 – 2021 final exams.
- The results will be withheld until all fees are fully paid.
- Distance Flexible Learning (DFL) students must pay their fees in full before sitting their exams.
- Effective Semester 2 – 2021, the enrollments will only be considered and endorsed upon the payment of outstanding fees.
- Effective Semester 2 – 2021. The enrolments will be based on paid units.